Final screencast : How can I learn to do legal research ?

How can I learn to do legal research?

Introduction

Hi everyone! My name is Claudie and for those who studied Paralegal Technology but doesn't remember well, I'll just explain, and I'll try to show you how to do great legal research.

As a Paralegal, you don't want to make mistake in your legal research. It's a prestigious job, and you don't want to disappoint the Lawyer.
In fact, you have the case in your hands, you need to find all the legal arguments and understands well your topic for the lawyer can win the cases. He counts on you and the small mistakes like a bad reading can be dramatics. Every Paralegal has to understand well how to do a great legal research, am I right? Of course, it's really important. But there are so many steps you have to take to give an excellent work.

I have only been studying Paralegal Technology for 2 years now, but after my last year, I want to continue my studies in Law by being a Paralegal while going to university, so I am really motivated to improve. I'm not an expert, but I have done a lot of research recently on different subject.

During my first year in my program, I had to do 2 courses about legal research that wasn't the best grades I could have. Unfortunately, during my second year, I had to do legal research again, and I get 104% because my research was perfect.

My goal is to demonstrate how to use well SOQUIJ to do great legal research.

Get ready to follow my step-by-step tutorial.

It is amazing what you can do with the website I'm going to show you.

The Problem

When a Lawyer give you a case, for example, he said that his clients was bitten by a dog in a park, and want to know if the dog's owner can be held responsible, and you don't know how you can start your research.

For this example, it's easy because you know it's about Extracontractual liability. But if it happens that you don't know on what topic you are on, you don't want to do research about the wrong topic.

For example, you can think it's going to be about criminal Law because the clients had an injury. But for animals, it's about civil Law.

That can be difficult. But don't worry. I have found the solution. I'll show you exactly how to solve this problem.

The Quest

First, you have to open SOQUIJ, if you are working in an office, it will probably be free because the company will already have paid it for you but generally this website requires payment. You will have to enter your username and your password.

When you are login, on the navigation menu, on your left, click on classification plan, it will bring you on all the topics.
You need to start by separate your legal question by keyword field related. For example, in the same topic I said before, you can use the keywords: dog, bitten, responsibility.

The Solution

After that, In SOQUIJ, in the classification plan, you can enter words by words what you found before. The classification plan shows you all the categories of legal topic and include sub-category. By pressing enter, you will see in blue the keywords in a sub-category and in orange, the keyword has a category. It's better to use a lot of keywords because it can have a different meaning in some situation. By using the keywords dog, liability was in blue and liability for injury caused by animals, was in orange. You can now start your research based on this topic. The law articles are also indicated there.

The Conclusion

So, if you are in Paralegal Technology or a related field, that's how you solve the problem of being unable to know on which subject your research will be based on. I promised I would show you how to solve that, and I did it using the website SOQUIJ.

I hope it was useful for you, and you can now do a great legal research based on the right topic! Before I finish, I want you to click to subscribe and the bell so that you don't miss my next video, and then take a moment to share this tutorial on social media. Thanks for watching.

**************************************************************

Statistics

Word count: 718

Total MP3 length: 04:18

Target structure count: 1

Error count: 0

Error density: 0%

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paralegal Technology Glossary